The story of the church begins around the year 1850 with the building of Knott’s Mill when a number of Anglican families moved into the area. They had a long journey to attend the nearest church, St. Luke’s, as all of Lowton was one parish at that time. However, for their convenience, services and a Sunday school were held in what is now a public house — the Church Inn.
But it wasn’t long before William J. Leigh, who was M.P. for South Lancashire, saw the need for a Church and a School in the area and he gave the site for the Church and the old school. Miss Mary Leigh of Hale, near Liverpool, offered to be the Patroness and provided most of the money for the buildings. She was a descendant of a Mr. Leigh, a tanner, who lived at Lowton Hall Farm in the 18th century, and she had inherited the estate. The Church was consecrated in 1861, and structurally it has remained more or less unaltered since then.
Sundays 10.30 a.m. Holy Communion or Morning Worship or Family Communion
6.30 p.m. Taize service or Evensong or Holy Communion/ Healing Service
Thursdays 10.15 a.m. Holy Communion
Please check the calendar for special services.